Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction by William D. Callister Jr.* Clear and concise discussions This text has received many accolades for its ability to clearly and concisely convey materials science and engineering concepts at an appropriate level to ensure student understanding. For examples see chapters 3, 4, 5 and 9.
* Mechanical property coverage The Sixth Edition maintains its extensive, introductory level coverage of mechanical properties and failure--the most important materials considerations for many engineers. For examples see chapters 6, 7, & 8.
* A picture is worth 1000 words! The Sixth Edition judiciously and extensively makes use of illustrations and photographs. The approximate 500 figures include a large number of photographs that show the microstructure of various materials (e.g., Figures 9.12, 10.8, 13.12, 14.15 and 16.5).
* Current and up-to-date Students are presented with the latest developments in Material Science and Engineering. Such up-to-date content includes advanced ceramic and polymeric materials, composites, high-energy hard magnetic materials, and optical fibers in communications. For examples see sections 13.7, 15.19, 16.8, 20.9, and 21.14.
* Why study These sections at the beginning of each chapter provide the student with reasons why it is important to learn the material covered in the chapter.
* Learning objectives A brief list of learning objectives for each chapter states the key learning concepts for the chapter.
* Resources to facilitate the materials selection process. Appendix B, which contains 11 properties for a set of approximately 100 materials, is included which be used in materials selection problems. An additional resource, Appendix C, contains the prices for all materials listed in Appendix B.
* The text is packaged with a CD-ROM that contains 1) interactive software modules to enhance visualization of three-dimensional objects, 2) additional coverage of select topics, and 3) complete solutions to selected problems from the text in order to assist students in mastering problem-solving.
What is Materials Engineering?
Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read. Want to Read saving…. Want to Read Currently Reading Read. Other editions. Enlarge cover. Error rating book.
The interdisciplinary field of materials science , also commonly termed materials science and engineering is the design and discovery of new materials, particularly solids. The intellectual origins of materials science stem from the Enlightenment , when researchers began to use analytical thinking from chemistry , physics , and engineering to understand ancient, phenomenological observations in metallurgy and mineralogy. As such, the field was long considered by academic institutions as a sub-field of these related fields. Beginning in the s, materials science began to be more widely recognized as a specific and distinct field of science and engineering, and major technical universities around the world created dedicated schools of the study, within either the Science or Engineering schools, hence the naming. Many of the most pressing scientific problems humans currently face are due to the limits of the materials that are available and how they are used. Thus, breakthroughs in materials science are likely to affect the future of technology significantly.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Materials Science and Engineering promotes student understanding of the three primary types of materials metals, ceramics, and polymers and composites, as well as the relationships that exist between the structural elements of materials and their properties. The next generation of WileyPLUS for Materials Science and Engineering gives instructors the freedom and flexibility to tailor content and easily manage their course to keep students engaged and on track. Click Here. VMSE is a unique tool for visualizing molecules and manipulating them in 3-D. Interactive simulations and animations enhance the learning of key concepts in materials science and engineering e. It also includes a comprehensive materials property database.
Building on the success of previous editions, this book continues to provide engineers with a strong understanding of the three primary types of materials and composites, as well as the relationships that exist between the structural elements of materials and their properties. The relationships among processing, structure, properties, and performance components for steels, glass-ceramics, polymer fibers, and silicon semiconductors are explored throughout the chapters. The discussion of the construction of crystallographic directions in hexagonal unit cells is expanded. At the end of each chapter, engineers will also find revised summaries and new equation summaries to reexamine key concepts. Convert currency. Add to Basket. Book Description Condition: Brand New.