Our youth prevention coalitions need one key ingredient—the input and talent of our local youth! We are always seeking middle and high schoolers (including home schooled) to join our coalitions. Being part of the local CTC is an opportunity for youth to build real-world skills for resumes, college, and more.
If you’re a youth interested in joining your local CTC, here’s how it works:
- We help you decide which work group (below) fits your interests and talents
- You attend your work group meeting each month for about an hour
- You spend another hour or two each month working on projects
Community Board Maintenance: A good fit for youth interested in teamwork, behind-the-scenes organizing, and teaching/education.
- Plan and assist with team-building activities
- Give input on bylaws and protocols for the CTC
- Plan and assist with training for new CTC members
Funding: A good fit for youth interested in finances, grant writing/fundraising, and/or banking.
- Brainstorm ideas to raise funds for the CTC
- Plan and assist with fundraising events
- Help find and write grants
Outreach: A good fit for youth interested in art, media, and social media.
- Brainstorm ways to let the community know about CTC
- Design posters, flyers, etc.
- Design graphics and posts for social media
- Assist in creating videos and other advertisements
Resource Assessment: A good fit for youth interested in community organizing.
- Identify gaps in existing resources and programs in the community
- Help recommend programs to use in our community
- Help develop a Community Action Plan
Risk and Protective Factors: A good fit for youth interested in math, data, and statistics.
- Brainstorm ways to spread the word about the importance of the CTC Youth Survey to youth, schools, and community
- Work with data to determine biggest risk factors in our community
- Help prepare reports about changes in data outcomes
Suicide Prevention: A good fit for youth interested in mental health and/or event planning.
- Brainstorm ways to educate youth about suicide prevention
- Assist with planning and holding activities/events for suicide prevention
- Attend suicide prevention training
Youth Involvement: A good fit for youth interested in community involvement and/or event planning.
- Brainstorm ways to get more youth involved in CTC, and in the community
- Identify and engage existing youth groups
- Plan and assist with community events for youth